Sunday, July 20, 2014




Lorelei's Fairy House from Upcycled Tin

I intended to cut this hexangonal Sutter Home wine tin into pieces for jewelry but Lorelei has been desparate to make a fairy house. I started by cutting doors and windows with tin snips. I had Lorelei do a little smoothing with a metal file. Ultimately, it was easier to apply an edge of metal tape around the openings to protect delicate fairy wings. We used a game board for the base. Lorelei added skeleton leaves to the roofline and I had a nest in my floral stash that we added for the roof. I cut a small gourd and made an awning for a little house without a knowing where we were going with it. Lorelei came up with the idea to make it a ladybug house and it turned out really cute. All the bark, pebbles and moss were glued into place. We gathered bark outdoors. I bought a mixed bag of moss at Michael's. I added pieces of grapevine to make the arch over the house and twisted in some beaded wire. The door is attached with ribbon. Inside is a table made from a leaf with twigs for legs.





I have a flex shaft to drill small holes. Working with tin, it is easier if you start the hole by marking it with a spring loaded punch.





No comments:

Post a Comment